This is a news compilation setting the record straight on the day’s top anti-oil and gas stories and providing research and facts to counter misinformation about the oil and gas industry.
Activists use debunked information to claim foul on gas stoves.
Natural gas stoves aren’t just better quality they are also safe to use.
- Sierra Club, one of the authors of the biased report from the Rocky Mountain Institute cited by the article was given 1,070,000 by the Tides Foundation in 2019. The Rocky Mountain Institute was also given $615,000 in 2019 by the Rockefeller Brothers Fund.
- Despite headline-grabbing claims that gas stove use can increase the risk of respiratory issues such as asthma, this independent study found that most studies have been inconclusive for both children and adults and not found there is increased risk.
- Environmental groups have created arguments that burning natural gas creates indoor air pollution which is harmful to residents. This direct quote from the Canada Health Guidelines is consistent with independent research that says modern gas stoves with proper ventilation are safe. It is interesting to note that faulty wiring is the number one cause of household fires.
“Data from Canadian indoor air studies indicate that the concentration of NO2in most electric stove homes will rarely exceed this level and that this concentration is also attainable in gas stove homes when adequate stovetop ventilation is used.”
- The UCLA report also says that using a ventilation hood makes cooking with a gas stove safe.
- According to the WHO, electricity and natural gas are among the cleanest solutions to keep indoor air quality above WHO guidelines.
Here’s a story that gets it right.
Chris Sankey, CEO of Blackfish Industries writes the Indigenous communities have been working towards sustainable resource extraction that provides a balance with nature. This has helped tackle poverty and provided self-reliance and sovereignty for Indigenous people. However, environmental activists have come into their communities and disrupted this.